Linking up projectors to laptops has been a breeze with VGA ports by the side. But what if your laptop doesn’t show up with a Video Graphics Array (VGA) port? That’s where you need to learn how to connect projector to laptop without VGA port!
Now, the basic difference that marks the distinction between HDMI and VGA connections is that the former tends to transfer signals in digital form – whereas the latter likes better the analog signal type.
With that being said, we have mentioned here all the nitty-gritty about how you can easily connect your laptop with a projector, even though your laptop doesn’t have a VGA port, and do your artist work on a big screen. So without further ado, let’s get straight to it.
Here we go:
Connecting Projector to Laptop without VGA Port:
Before we move any further to elaborate on the process of connecting the projector and laptop, let’s have an overview of what actually VGA is, and how come it’s an essential element of linking up these two devices.
So on that note, let’s consider the following detail of what is VGA:
What is VGA?
VGA, as mentioned earlier, is an abbreviation of Video Graphics Array, which is responsible for transferring video signals from one device to another – for instance, in our case, a projector and a laptop.
Now in a similar context, the VGA-supported projectors are in a variety on the market. And, on the other hand, almost all of the laptops are coming with HDMI support, instead of VGA. So this makes it a little tough to link up the two devices.
That is the reason we have included a guide on how to connect a projector to a laptop quickly, that too without having the VGA port. So let’s not waste another minute and get straight into it:
How to Connect Projector with Laptop
Using HDMI to VGA Adapter
First and foremost, you can use one of the easiest and simplest ways to connect the projector and laptop with the help of an HDMI connection. With that being said, there is a proper procedure to this, which is as follows:
At first, you need to make sure of this thing that your laptop is turned off. Afterward, link up the two devices with the help of a video cable.
Since your laptop doesn’t have the VGA port, you’d be needing an HDMI-to-VGA adapter in that case. You can easily purchase this and use it instead of a direct VGA connection.
The last thing here to be done is to turn the projector and laptop on, after making sure the cables are not loosely connected. Right after that, your projector will start projecting videos from your laptop.
Note: If you want to have audio while watching movies or during a presentation, then you need to connect the laptop’s ‘Audio Out’ port – either to the projector or any other sound device.
So that was all about connecting a projector with a laptop with the help of an HDMI to VGA adapter.
We are going to mention another method of connecting the two devices – yet again with the help of an HDMI connection. And this time, it is the HDMI to VGA converter.
Using HDMI to VGA Converter
It pretty much sounds the same but VGA converters are slightly different than the VGA adapters. In this case, you need to have a VGA cable too, alongside the HDMI cable. With that being said, you can use this converter in the following way:
Firstly, turn the laptop off and plug the HDMI cable in its appropriate port. Also, make sure your projector is powered off too.
Plug one end of the HDMI cable in the laptop, and the other in the converter. In the same way, put one end of the VGA cable in the projector and the other in the converter.
Now you need to connect the converter to the power source. Right after that, turn the two devices on and have your laptop connected with a projector conveniently.
And this brings us to the end of the procedure of how to connect projector to laptop without VGA port in it. Now that we have discussed all the possible ways of making the connection between a laptop and a projector, let’s move on with some other information regarding the use of HDMI to VGA converter.
That said, down below is a brief account of the differences that make it set apart from the HDMI to VGA adapter connection. On that note, let’s begin with our discussion:
Differences between HDMI to VGA Adapter and HDMI to VGA Converter
To get that straight, there are only two major differences between these two connections. These are as follows:
1. First thing is that in case of audio availability in the adapter connection, you needed to connect it with the projector or any other sound system in order to have so. But there is no such thing in HDMI to VGA converter because it provides a built-in system of producing audio signals, alongside the video signals.
2. Another difference is that converters need an external power source to operate. Unlike adapters, they have a DC jack or USB cable, which helps to connect the converter to the power outlet.
Tips and Tricks for Connecting Projector to Laptop without VGA Port
Before we wrap up with our discussion, let’s have a recap of everything in an overview of the basic tips and tricks in this regard. So with that said, let’s get down to it:
1. Pick the right cables while connecting the two devices. In the case of using an HDMI connection, make sure that it transfers the signals perfectly without any lag in performance.
2. You must buy a converter, which supports high resolution. So much so, that it goes up to at least 1920×1080 of resolution.
3. Another major aspect to be kept in mind while buying the converter for this purpose is that it must offer wide compatibility. If the converter is not compatible with the HDMI cable or VGA cable, then there is no point in having it.
4. Having laptops with a VGA port can be supportive in this regard. But if you ask, which one of these two connections is better, then the answer would be none other than the HDMI. So prefer having a laptop with an HDMI connection and investing some money in an adapter or converter.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to connect a mini projector to a laptop?
Here’s a series of some easy steps that would help you learn how to connect a mini projector to a laptop:
1. Firstly, you better make sure that both, the laptop and projector are turned off.
2. Connect the video cable or the VGA cable to your laptop and projector.
3. Plug the cable in the power outlet and turn the projector on. Follow it by turning the laptop on.
4. Now in order to sync the laptop and projector together, hold the Function [Fn] key and then press either of the following keys: F4, F5, F7, and F8.
2. How to connect a Dell laptop to a projector with HDMI?
Following is the detail regarding how to connect Dell laptop to projector using HDMI cable:
1. First things first, turn the devices off, plug the HDMI cable in the projector; then turn it on.
2. After that, you can simply turn the laptop or monitor on and you’ll get to see the display on the projector. In case if it doesn’t show the desired results, then you can check the connection and plug-ins of the cable – whether they are loose or something.
3. How to connect the projector to laptop without cable?
There are several ways of connecting a projector to your laptop. And one of them is a very common way of doing it wirelessly. Hence, here you have a very easy way of connecting the projector with a laptop by using a wireless dongle.
4. How to connect goodee projector to a laptop?
Connecting goodee projector to your laptop is quite easy and somehow similar to that of usual connections with the laptop and projector. So it’s pretty much no-hassle and you can easily pair up your laptop with goodee projector.
So conclusively, the process of connecting a projector to a laptop without a VGA port is not that complex. Rather the methods used to link up the two devices without the direct VGA connection are quite simple. All you gotta do is to make some investment beforehand!
With that being said, all of this mess can be avoided if simply you get to have a VGA-port laptop by your side. So it all comes down to the appropriate choice at the right time.
On that note, I hope you found this article helpful. Make sure to keep in mind the tips and tricks whenever you tend to work on any of the given methods.